Glaucoma is a vision problem that causes damage to the optic nerve due to increased pressure in the eye. This pressure, called intraocular pressure, begins to damage the optic nerves, which transmit images to our brain.
Different types of glaucoma
There are usually two types of glaucoma that people suffer from, namely:
Open angle: this is a common form of the disease in which the drainage angle present inside the eye is blocked and causes an increase in pressure.
Closure of the angle: this condition occurs if the angle of drainage present inside the eye becomes narrow and is blocked. This blockage leads to the development of high pressure in the eye.
Usually this disease has few symptoms; however, if a person is faced with the above problems, then this is a clear indicator that this person should undergo a thorough examination. Some of the symptoms are:
- Problems focusing on near or far objects.
- Abnormal sensitivity to glare due to squinting face.
- Double vision.
- Eyecup, swollen, red-rimmed or built-in.
- Itching and dry eyes.
- Lines and edges appear distorted or wavy.
Who is at risk?
- Those of African descent.
- Older age group.
- People who have suffered a previous eye injury.
- Those who use steroids.
Usually, it is not possible to solve this problem, but it can certainly be controlled. Today, there are glaucoma treatment in Chicago that can be used depending on the complexity and nature of the problem. Let’s look at three of the common treatment options:
- Medications: eye drops are usually prescribed for this problem, which, as a rule, alter the circulation of fluid in the eye, and also help reduce eye pressure.
- Laser surgery. Another option for treating glaucoma in Mumbai is the use of lasers. Laser surgery, known as trabeculoplasty, is one of the most effective treatments for this problem.
- Surgical surgery. Another option is an operation in which another bypass drainage channel is created to help fluid flow out of the eye. This helps to reduce the increase in pressure inside the eye.